The 1st of March was the first weekend it was warm enough for me to start on the wings.
The first thing I needed to do that has been bothering me since I first bought the plane, was to get the water bags out of the wings. I'm was also curious to know what was rattling around in the right wing?
During my pre-buy inspection, the right wing dropped when we were assembling the glider, and the tip hit the floor of the hanger. I heard something loose, and a rattlling sound inside that wing.
Before starting on the the sanding of the wings, I removed the old mylar aileron seals with 3M adhesive remover on the tops and bottoms of the wings. I also removed the fabric covers on the aileron pushrods sticking out of the wingroot. Before I had a chance to work on the right wing, I needed to remove some parts to send to Streifeneder for overhaul. The first parts I removed were the aileron drives. These parts consist of a ball-joint actuator and a series of bearing disks mounted in two plates.
Here is a photo of the cantilever with the remaining part of the push rod still attached (red arrow). The piece is the bearing. The Push rod is over 135cm in length with a bearing welded to one end.
The next weekend, we loaded up the wing and drove to Roberts shop.
When we arrived, Robert stated, (with a big smile on his face), "OK lets see what you screwed up!".