Welcome to a work in progress

This blog is dedicated to the restoration and modification of a Glasflügel Standard Libelle H201B, and a tribute to those who have dared to do the same, and to those who are helping with seeing this dream take flight.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Trailer! Part 6 - Déjà vu!?

Finally the temperature is getting down enough where I can start working with fiberglass again!.

I pulled out the wood and start reviewing my drawings.

The new trailer steel hoops in the forward area on the trailer are a little off from my original design. So, I will stick to the original design and cut the hoops off to be re-welded after the front on the trailer is mounted and secured.

The design for the mold required more facets than I wanted to deal with, but that is burden I chose when I accepted this project.

I reused much of the wood from the back portion of the trailer mold to create the mold for the forward trailer mold.

I created panel frames to create the forward curve.

This is where my wife walked in and saw this!

Her comment was, "Are you preparing to storm the beach in Normandy!?"

Aluminum foil tape was used to seal the edges and seams.

The last step was to add the facet edge with cut paneling strips.

I used a hot glue gun to tack the strips in place,

.... and then masking tape to seal the seams.

The wood was sanded and sealed.

Tomorrow.... the whole interior gets a good waxing.

Next week I start the process of applying the fiberglass... Oh Joy..

The new O2 System and Radio Mic install

Over the summer, when it was still too warm to work on the trailer top, I managed to finish the plumbing for the oxygen system.

I purchased a Mountain High System last spring and after careful studying on other gliders O2 systems, I planned out one that I believe will work just fine in the Libelle.

I found that the first stage needed to face down with my planned arrangement.

I mounted the refill port and tank gauge where it was accessible though the hat-self cover.

I originally bought the standard 3' high pressure hose, but I found that it was too short for where I needed to read the gauge in the cockpit. So I had to reorder a 5' hose. There were already small holes drilled in the ribs, I reused them to strap the hose in place, and ran it thought the glass straps in the side and under the seat pan tray lip.

Don't worry about that dangling chain on the refill port cover. I will get a better one that will secure the cap.

I drilled a opening in the lip and mounted the cockpit gauge. I also cut a notch in the seat pan lip to slide under the gauge.

While I was working on that side, I attached the boom microphone mount and ran the cable down the side. The cockpit padding will cover the cable when the plane is finished.

The next step was how to run the low pressure hose and still keep it away from anything that will hang up the controls or pinch the hose.

I ran the hose along the rear wing pin suspension tube and carefully strapped it down with plastic ties. There were holes in the ribs were I ran the tube in, through and around to avoid the aileron yoke and elevator rod.

The hose the was run through the glass straps into and under the right side seat pan tray lip.

Mountain High had a panel mount hose port that fit perfectly in the tray lip. I cut an opening in the seat pan for the port access. I will use the plastic hose to attach the demand regulator, and fit it into the side padding pocket.

It's now the end of September, the temperature is falling. It's time to finish the damn trailer!


Here is a revision to the low pressure hose install. A blog reader, Mark , suggested an excellent idea to prevent the hose from getting pinched by the plastic tires. He suggested that I shield the hose with a ridged plastic tube. I found that the tube I'm using for the steel wire shield had in ID the was just a shade wider than the OD of the low pressure hose. It was a perfect fit. And was rigid enough to prevent the plastic ties from biting into the low pressure line.

Again, Thank you Mark!