Well, by this time, you have seen the work to replace the instrument panel, now it's time to replace that old hat self-access cover.
Just like the instrument panel, this cover was so full of holes, that it was warped and curling outward.
I used the same process as I used in making the instrument panel
The process included using a flat board that was sealed and waxed to prevent the resin from adhering to the surface.
I used Peel Ply, E-120, two layers of carbon fiber, followed by a layer of 7725 and then covered with Peel Ply.
I used the same curing process of a 24 hour pre-cure at 75 degrees, followed by a post cure of 15 hours.
I drew an outline using the old cover.
With the outline completed, I cut the excess off, and carefully sanded the material until I had a working shape.
I had a slight problem removing the glass sheet from the form, and thus there is a blemish that can be seen as a light blotch near the bottom of the hatch. Since this is the painted side, There is no problem with the blemish being there.
I used a Dremel with a grinding head to cut the notches and latch lever guide hole. I etched a circle for the cockpit vent, but I had not decided on cutting it out just yet.
The test fit on the fuselage.
Here is a photo of the old cover with the replacement.
I have the new piano hinge too, but we will need to test to see if the rivets will hold in the carbon fiber cover.
So much more to do...