Sunday, June 10, 2012
The Trailer! Part 5 - Making molds, breaking rules, and losing my mind!!
The trailer is back from being in storage at the Sandia Trailer. I was finally able to afford to pay the balance and bring it home to work on "Phase IV"
They did a great job installing the side skins and new floor.
Once the sides were up, the main box mold was finished, now I needed to devise a way to close off the open slit that runs the full length of the mold were the sides align with the base top, then the end cap.
I found that the cheap wall paneling was easy to cut, and I came up with a way to create a bevel top edge.
I secured the panel material with a hot glue gun and aluminum duct tape.
This mold is 16' long. and is almost 2/3rds of the length of the trailer.
To prevent the fiberglass resin sticking to the material I used release wax and a solution of PVA. After the PVA dried, I dropped in a layer of peel ply nylon.
The nylon was attached using masking tape and staples.
The first layer applied was the 10oz cloth.
This concludes the first stage of the fiberglass top. This will cover the back 2/3rds of the trailer.
After the tubes were taped in, I was ready to fiberglass them in place. I used two layers of fiber glass tape.
The resin soaked into the cardboard, making it extra ridged.
I used wooded shims to pop the glass cast from the bottom plywood base.
The verical fin cover was made from a male mold, made of foam.
Primer was used to find the areas that needed to be filled.
While this work was going on, and moving the top around, I had to add addition glass strips to the tube supports, since I noticed some areas that were stressed.
I relalized that I would need some additional steel loops in the trailer top to support the area were the two parts would be mated together, and also the front area for the access hatch.
Making the forward section will be a challange, now that the temperature is in the 80's here. I will be casting in the early hours before sunrise, or in the late evening, when it starts to cool down.
Before I can make that front portion, I will need to make room in the garage, and that means mounting the back half to the trailer.