Welcome to a work in progress

This blog is dedicated to the restoration and modification of a Glasfl├╝gel Standard Libelle H201B, and a tribute to those who have dared to do the same, and to those who are helping with seeing this dream take flight.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A new roost for an old bird

On April 18, Sunday morning, Louise and I drove to Moriarty to have Robert Mudd inspect the bird for the first time.

We pulled up to the hanger of Composite Aircraft Repair. We were greeted by Robert and a few other pilots interested in seeing what I bought.

As we started unloading the glider from the trailer, many ideas and suggestion started flying around.
Robert commented that he liked the trailer, and some modification could be done to better protect the glider.






Just then, Rick Kohler of Sundance Aviation, and my all time instructor, walked up and gave the Libelle a look. He smiled and said to me, "Looks good, "Just fly the hell out of it!"




 Robert started his brief inspection and started pointing out areas that I should focus on for repair. Most of the issues where superficial trailer rash damages that needed repair, like the big ding in the trailing-edge of the rudder. Here is where we first started the disassembly. Off came the rudder and now I have a bag of bolts.



 He then stated, "I would really like to see the condition of the wing mounts and spars. You need to get those cleaned up a sanded down". At that point, I knew that a complete overhaul and strip down would be the best overall plan before flying this bird.

The proud owner of a project!


"The battle to buy a glider is over, the battle to restore one is about to begin".

No comments:

Post a Comment