Welcome to a work in progress

This blog is dedicated to the restoration and modification of a Glasfl├╝gel Standard Libelle H201B, and a tribute to those who have dared to do the same, and to those who are helping with seeing this dream take flight.

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Trailer! Part 7 - The trailer front half!

This past week, I took off work to finish the front half of the trailer top.

The top was was glassed in with the same number of layers as the back half, with the exception on an additional layer of 18oz. roving.

The extra layer will stiffen the the roof, and prevent sagging.

The mold was removed, to my surprise, came off quite easily.
With the help from my wife, we rolled the top over. 


The next step was to create the access hatch cover. I needed to make this before moving the top outside.

To protect the front of the trailer top, and to prevent the hatch cover bonding to the top glass, the hatch mold was made of .25 inch plywood, cut to shape and treated. I then screwed it onto the trailer top front. a layer of aluminum tape was applied, and then I used mold release wax to treat the surface. 




The hatch cover was made with several layers glass, like the rest of the trailer top, with the exception of the additional two layers of carbon fiber to keep it extra stiff.
The hatch cover popped off the mold, and the extra material was trimmed..
I left a lip on the edge so I can make the inside lip for the hatch to fit over when its mounted to the trailer. That topic will be addressed later. 

With the hatch cover made, It was tip to mate the two trailer top halves together. I used my truck, and the lift gate to move the top to the waiting trailer.
And again, with the help from my wife, we slide the top onto to the front of the trailer.

It took me most of the following day to get the front aligned with the back half.  I then cut out a rough opening so I can access the inside of the trailer to apply the bonding fiberglass to the seam split.
I followed Uraula Hanles instruction on how to bond a broken fuselage guide me thru this stem. I added additional ribbing to reinforce the inside.

While the first layers of the seam were curing, I cut out the openings for the rear tail lights and mounted the lights in place. I added the the license plate holder and light.  These will come off when I'm ready to paint the top, but for now, I just need them to be working so I can get the essential internal parts mounted, and the glider delivered to the airport for completion!
I placed the unfinished hatch cover over the opening.

For almost two years, this trailer for the first time, does not need a tarp to protect it! YAHOO! 


 I will do cleanup and add a layer of paint to protect the glass, but the final external finishing will be done later, after the glider is in the hands of the shop!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying reading this blog!
    I look forward to seeing the project complete.
    Peter Adamson, Leeds, UK

    ReplyDelete