Welcome to a work in progress

This blog is dedicated to the restoration and modification of a Glasflügel Standard Libelle H201B, and a tribute to those who have dared to do the same, and to those who are helping with seeing this dream take flight.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Devil is in the Details

Over the past week poor Joseph was polishing and touching up the paint on the winglets and the cockpit. I told him to stay home this weekend and to not worry about the glider.

When I came in on Saturday, the glider was waiting for me in the booth, ready for me to start trimming out the details.

The first thing I noticed was the painted registration and tail letters were blended smoothly into the white paint.

My first task was to add the Libelle logo to the tail, which I had vinyl transfers made at Fastsigns.

The transfers were better than the decals I bought. They too looked like they were painted on.

My next tasks was to rivet the serial number plate back on, and grind down the screw ends in the hat shelf cover.

A happy milestone since the plate was removed four years ago!


I then added the speaker, and GRP straps to the inside to secure the speaker wires.



I adjusted the release cable under Roberts guidance, secured the turnbuckle with safetly wire, swedged the T-handles for the Release and Pedal adjustment.

I also spent most of the day cleaning the bearings and removing the years of dust and grime that have been collecting on them.


The water ballast dump system controls were added ....
... and tested.

As I was walking out of the booth this evening, this is what I see!
Sunday, I will be finishing getting the antenna reconnected and tested, and continue the clean out of dust and grime build up.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi John! I wish you successful first flight and many pleasures with your Libelle. It´s looking great now and I´ve read this blog for several months from time I´ve discovered it until now to see your sweet finish. You´ve done together with your friends amazing job and I guess thant not everybody would be capable of doing such overhaul after discovery of so many badly made repairs and poor maintenance. Thanks your excelent photogalery it was possible to get some insight in Libelle internal design. We have just bought with my friend a Mosquito and it´s quite surprising how much of internal design is preserved from Libelle.
    Cheers!
    Jindrich, Czech Rep.

    ReplyDelete